Does anyone actually charge to only 80%?

Needsdecaf

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
997.2 Turbo S, Cayenne Diesel, Cayenne E_Hybrid
Country flag
Based on the research I have seen for most EVs, batteries don't really lose much capacity for any reason over time. What is everyone's thought on the matter?
My thought is your above statement is definitely false. Batteries absolutely lose capacity over time and it's absolutely related to how much fast charging you do, how close to the extremes of the battery storage you get, and how long you hold it there.

Does your 2 year old cell phone still last all day without recharging?

Now, whether you care or not is a different story. But it doesn't change the science.
Sponsored

Gwaihir

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Charge to 85% then re-charge at 60% so can get back to 85% in the 4 hours of cheap rate. Because of the stupid timer/profile. If you discharge lower it will charge outside the 4 hour window And cost you lots more. Porsche need to fix the timers.

iamfrozt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I only charge to 80%. I don't have a need to charge any higher and don't go on long trips, so it doesn't make sense to push the limits of the battery and risk longevity.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Usually, I charge when I come at work, up to 90%, so when I‘m back home, I‘m at 80%.
Then I charge when soc comes down to 30% or 20%.
I charge 100% when I need to drive more than 100km (one way).

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I charge to 80% daily and more as needed for road trips. I've done this for ~8 years of EV ownership and it has worked well for me from a battery degradation perspective. I also only use level 3 chargers when necessary (road trips), and I have the preserve battery option enabled on my Taycan.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
80% here as well unless more needed.

WalterG

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan4S
Country flag
80% each evening unless I expect to need more for a trip the next day. 99% of the time my commute and daily driving is under 50 miles. I charge to 95% - 100% for long trips, which I've done 4 or 5 times.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Charge to 85% then re-charge at 60% so can get back to 85% in the 4 hours of cheap rate. Because of the stupid timer/profile. If you discharge lower it will charge outside the 4 hour window And cost you lots more. Porsche need to fix the timers.
I do the same but charge to 80% and recharge when c50%.
4 hours cheap rate on 7.4kw/h home charge is about 30% on the 93.4 kw/h battery.

If longer journey planned its charged to 100%.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not great for the person who buys that car.
I expect we will see more buyers asking questions about battery health in the future. Informed buyers of the original Tesla Roadster have been doing this for years (what is the CAC?). Similarly, Leaf buyers ask how many bars remain because the leaf has been hit hard by degradation. It's just a matter of time before leases take battery health into account as well. Imho.

JonasOfNorway

First Name
Jonas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
In winter when the car sits on a timer for heating every morning i have charge goal on 70%.

The car will over charge a bit, typical 6-8 amps, to be able to heat the battery and reach charge goal (the heater can use more energy than my 30amp c.). So since i charge it daily or every other day, with a goal of 70 it does not go over 78 (as far as i have seen).

hkarthik

First Name
Karthik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S White
Country flag
I charge to 85% most of the time. Unless I'm at an Electrify America station, and then I just go till 29 minutes and stop wherever it lands, even if it's above 90%. That's mainly because I want to maximize my use of the free charging while I have it.

Silverback

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Model 3 Perf.
Country flag
In the manual it states 85%

Use the Timer or Profile function to program a maximum high-voltage battery charge of 85% for daily use of the vehicle without any long-distance driving.

If required, a battery charge of 100% can be programmed before starting long journeys.

I have generally charged to 100% though, (or whatever I can within my 4hrs of cheap electric, scheduled through my Zappi charger) so I should really set up profile in the Taycan. It would be a lot easier just to have an option on the screen at charge time, to either charge to 100% or default to 85%. The car comes with 100% default ie no profile setup.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Depends on your driving habits, I suppose. If 80% isn't enough to cover your daily use then obviously one needs a higher level of charge. Otherwise, the only reasons to charge to a higher level are if you're worried about last minute unexpected trips/emergencies or you don't plan to keep the car for long and don't care if you stress the battery pack.

I don't worry about the former as I have multiple vehicles and the latter doesn't apply to me. I always charge to 80% unless I know for sure I will be needing the extra range.
there is nothing bad about charging to 100% as long as you get going, the problems arise from keeping the car at high SOC for extended periods of time

Reactions: B61

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a weird thing occur to me the other day related to this. On most days I have a timer set for 80%. The other day I had a road trip, so the night before I set it to 100%. That worked just fine. When I returned from the road trip I forgot to change the timer back to 80%. I would have expected the car to charge once again to 100%. Instead it charged to 80%. When I went into the timer it still showed 100%. I put it back to 80%.

I assume it's a bug, unless there is some kind of protection from charging sequentially to 100%? I doubt it. Has anyone else seen this behavor?
Sponsored