Insulated glass...?

DJM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT Turbo
Country flag
Is anyone disappointed they did not spec the insulated glass from a sound perspective?
I'm not concerned with the thermal benefits so much, but do want a quiet cabin!
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nope - but I've not driven a Taycan with the sound insulated glass. The car is very quiet as it is plus I don't like the chromatic effect you see on the outside front windscreen) with cars (any) which has this fitted (purplish hue).

steen

First Name
Steen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MB E-class coupe
Country flag
I was adviced against it by the dealer. They said that the glass is effective against wind-noise, but most of the noise in the cabin is from the wheels, where the glass has little effect.

I havent tried both, so have no actual data.

I think Porsche should have data from tests with/without the glass under the same conditions and meassured noise in the cabin in db. The fact that those data are nowhere to be found, suggest, at least to me, that the dealer is right- the dífference is probably limited., so money better spend on other options.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I've got that option and I'm glad I got it, but mostly from a thermal perspective because it really does help reduce the heat transmission into the car and therefore reduces the workload of the AC which I believe helps a lot with range and efficiency. But then I'm also in California, not Northern Europe.

I haven't experienced a Taycan without the Noise and Thermal glass option, so I can't write from experience as to its noise dampening qualities, but the cabin is very quiet indeed.

Last edited:
Reactions: B61

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
I have the insulated glass on my Turbo S.

I didn't think much about it until I had a loaner Taycan RWD for a week without the insulated glass. It was the first thing my wife notice while riding in the loaner. It also had smaller diameter wheels which should be quieter compared to the 21" wheels on my S, but it wasn't.

I think it's definitely worth it form the noise perspective.

I also noticed that the cabin felt warmer getting into the loaner after being parked outside in the sun for several hours. So I wouldn't dismiss the thermal properties for both cold/hot. I know that in extreme cold weather (sub zero F temperature) my Audi E-tron (which has thermal glass) was much more efficient than our older Tesla Mode X (which didn't have thermal glass). Some of this is from general insulation, but I'm sure the glass helps.

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
Are cellular reception issues still happening with this insulated glass? That’s the only thing holding me back from optioning it. I use Verizon as my cellular provider in California, in case anybody has an anecdotal data point on how it performs behind this glass.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Are cellular reception issues still happening with this insulated glass? That’s the only thing holding me back from optioning it. I use Verizon as my cellular provider in California, in case anybody has an anecdotal data point on how it performs behind this glass.
There’s mixed responses on here for that, so I’m not sure if you’ll get good answers.

I have the insulated glass and both me and my wife have reduced cell signal in the car. I have an iPhone 12 and she has an iPhone X. Her issues are worse though, sometimes having no signal at all. The problem goes away if we roll a window down and we don’t have issues in other vehicles.

We do see a signal boost if we place the phone in the center console charger, but I thought I read the cell signal booster there was not going to be continued in 2022. I didn’t research myself though.

It might be interesting to see if people with and without issues have the glass or metal roof. Maybe that makes a difference? We have the metal roof.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag
Nope. The cabin is still very quiet with the normal glass, especially for an EV. I came from a Model S, and one of the first things my wife commented on when I got the car was how quiet it was at highway speeds. I'm sure the insulated glass is very nice, but not sure it's worth the cost when it seems there's a chance it could mess up your cell reception and the base glass is still pretty solid.

Mr.Smith

First Name
PaulS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
RS E-Tron GT, VW ID.4 Pro
Country flag
Higher speeds is when the insulated glass shows it's value for wind noise reduction

evn00b

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, '14 Lexus IS, '22 Hyundai Palisade
Country flag
My dealer told me the same thing that it noticeably lowers wind noise but he couldn’t comment on the cellular reception issues. He claimed he didn’t have any other models on the lot with metal roof and insulated glass for me to test signal strength for my phone. So for now I chose not to go with that option. Lower noise is nice to have but bad cellular reception is a deal breaker.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
I also use VZW in California and while I don't exactly do a lot of realtime testing of cellular connection (such as phone calls) in the car, I haven't noticed any issues. Spotify for example doesn't seem to have any issues, though that is buffered ahead so it can absorb some signal issues if any are present. I haven't seen any outright drops of signal, though, other than it sometimes taking a while to connect to the network when initially coming out of my no-signal garage.

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
The car is vert quiet without engine noise so you notice other noises more, this is why I went for the acoustic glass. Have not compared directly to a standard setup but I am really happy with how quiet the cabin is, particularly at high speeds, no wind noise and very little road noise. Phone reception fine for me, no issues.

02bluesuperroo

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Porsche Taycan 4s
Country flag
For 2022 they also got rid of the cellular antenna attached to the phone clip in the center console. Ultimately the risk of cellular problems in lower coverage areas made me remove it from my build.
Sponsored