tfurbay

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Range Rover, BMW X5
Country flag
I’m about to embark upon my first road trip tomorrow in the Taycan. It’s also my first EV road trip. I’d love to get some tips and advice from experienced Taycan road trippers here.

It’s about 175 miles out. I’m planning to stay for about an hour and a half, have lunch, pick up our son and return home about 175 miles back. The destination has one J-1772 plug, two NEMA 14-50s and a two Tesla charges, but I don’t have a Tesla Tap converter. I have the Performance battery. My full change usually says I have about 300 miles of range, though its never been calculated after all highway driving. I just signed up for Porsche Intel Range Manager. There seems to be an abundant number of chargers along the journey.

One question I have is how long should it take to charge back up from say 15% to 100% on the J-1772 charger? If I’m stuck using their NEMA 14-50s how long will that take?

Thanks for any advice!
Sponsored

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m about to embark upon my first road trip tomorrow in the Taycan. It’s also my first EV road trip. I’d love to get some tips and advice from experienced Taycan road trippers here.

It’s about 175 miles out. I’m planning to stay for about an hour and a half, have lunch, pick up our son and return home about 175 miles back. The destination has one J-1772 plug, two NEMA 14-50s and a two Tesla charges, but I don’t have a Tesla Tap converter. I have the Performance battery. My full change usually says I have about 300 miles of range, though its never been calculated after all highway driving. I just signed up for Porsche Intel Range Manager. There seems to be an abundant number of chargers along the journey.

One question I have is how long should it take to charge back up from say 15% to 100% on the J-1772 charger? If I’m stuck using their NEMA 14-50s how long will that take?

Thanks for any advice!
It will take many hours on an L2 charger. If you cannot find a high speed ccs charger you should reconsider the trip

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag

Thanks for any advice!
15 to 100% will be at least 8 hours on NEMA 14-50 - and I’m going to guess the J-1772‘s are also 40 amp (just like the NEMA 14-50’s) - but they could be slower/faster - J-1772 does not dictate charging speed - so there is a range of possibilities if they are J-1772 (slow to slightly faster)

you really really really really want to use a fast charger during your trip - stop for 20-40 min and you’ll be able to get more than enough juice for the entire trip - Electrify America, ChargePoint, EVGo and other’s are potential charging network‘s you’re looking for - your Taycan supports the CCS/SAE plug type for DC Fast charging - and can charge from 50 kW to 270 kW - 50 kW charger will be about a 1 hour stop - 350 kW charger will be about 30 minutes - 150 kW charger will be about 40-50 minutes

a 1 hour stop @ NEMA 14-50 will yield about 8% battery charge - probably similar or less for the on-site J-1772’s

you should use plugshare.com/a-better-route-planner to find some fast charging - that will add 20 min to your stop but you can go from 5% to 80% in that time if you have a 350 kW Electrify American charger anywhere on route.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Thanks for any advice!
some minimal planning is required for this type of trip - recomend you not solely rely on porsche’s in-car charging

start with “a better route planner’ - app or web site - see what it says for charging stops (enter the round trip)
then verify the charging stop with plug-share for reliability and recent check in’s.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
Troy:

following up on what Dave said - Plugshare is the key app for this inaugural trip. There are multiple dozens of CCS chargers that ring the greater DC area in all directions, so I would make sure to top off at one of these that is closer to your destination just in case.

Enjoy the trip, enjoy the family time, and keep an eye on the the battery charge level. Finally, always know where a CCS charger is relative to where you are going!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
here for example is a 178 mile (one way) trip from Bethesda, MD to Lynchburg, VA (178 miles one way - I picked a random location about 175 miles one way - your trip will be different) - A better route planner suggest two stops @ Electrify America Zion Cross Road…and you’ll return to where you started with 10% battery if you followed this plan - 1 stop on the way there- and 1 stop on the way back for this hypothetical trip.

the trip breaks down as follows:
  • Bethesda —-> Zion CrossRoads EA Chargers - 100% to 52%
  • 26 min stop @ Zion - 52% to 96% charging stop
  • Zion —> Lynchburg - 96% to 55%
  • arrive - hang out - charge slowly for an hour or so - pick up 8% battery - now start the return trip
  • Lynchburg —> Zion - 55% to 15%
  • 13 min stop @ Zion - 15% to 62% charging stop
  • Zion —> Bethesda - 62% to 10%
  • 39 min total charging time
  • total trip time 8 hours 6 minutes
Porsche Taycan First EV Road Trip Tomorrow - Tips? C362785F-E823-4F96-BEA7-307DD20C30EC

if you use the Porsche Connect app or Charging NA app you can activate your included “free” 30 min charging sessions @ Electrify America so the charging session won’t cost you anything.

plugshare - says the Zion Crossroads EA chargers have a reliabillty rating of 10 out of 10 - that means no one has checked in recently and been unable to charge - so the likely hood of charging snafu is low - you can most likely rely on those chargers to be working, but occassionally EA takes chargers offline for maintanence so check with EA app to make sure chargers are “functional” prior to departure - if they are down - find another charging stop along the route.
recommend you setup charging apps on your phone prior to depatures - recommend setting up login to each of the apps and make sure you have them setup and configured with your accounts and payment methods prior to departure - it is a horrible no good bad terrible sh*t experience trying to set these up on the fly on the side of the road in a parking lot with terrible cell phone coverage - login and setup them up PRIOR to depature in the comfort of your own home - this will speed your charging experience once you arrive and minimize the amount of time spent simply trying to get the charging session to start. The list of apps I recommend you have are listed below with links to the iOS app store (there are android alternatives)
  • Porsche Connect app - 1 of 2 possible apps for activating ‘free‘ EA 30 min session
  • Porsche Charging app - 2 of 2 possible apps for activating ‘free’ EA 30 min session
  • Electrify America- backup in case one of the two apps above can’t start a session - just pay for it and be on your way cause the ‘free’ stuff doesn’t always work
    • EA customer support is super nice and helpful (seriously) - their 800 number is listed on all the stations and if you call and provide your VIN - they can remotely start your free session - but it will take longer cause ya’know you have to talk to a human and such.
  • ChargePoint - alternative charging network vs. EA - different chargers - different speeds - different billing - mostly used as an alternative/backup for EA - more reliable than EA but typically slower.
  • EVGo - alternative charging network vs. EA - different chargers - different speeds - different billing - mostly used as an alternative/backup for EA - more reliable than EA but typically slower.
  • Plugshare - useful for planning and finding chargers w/reliability ratings - can filter - crowd sourced “check-ins” so you can see recent activity (i.e. is the charger working on site)
  • A Better Route Planner - useful for planning your trip and gives you an idea what a trip might look like for stops/charging/duration and route - it’s a starting point - make changes as you see fit to suite your personal tastes.
  • others?? yes probably - there are a lot of regional charging services - recommend you review plugshare for other chargers in your region - if they look like they are at locations that you may use go ahead and install apps for those “local/regional” charging networks so you can use them also when you’re out in the wild.
highly recommend you visit a local EA charging site prior to the trip to make sure you’ve got the routine down and have successfully started a fast charging session at least once! - doing this the 1st time “on the road” can be a traumatizing experience - also sometimes (rarely very rarely) the fast charging hardware on EV’s needs warranty service - this is a terrible thing to discover on a road trip - this is a horrible thing to debug on the road when you need it to actually work. Try starting a charging session with each of 4 methods:
  1. Porsche Connect App
  2. Charging NA app
  3. the EA app
  4. credit card swipe on the station itself
Seriously go find a local fast charger and try it out before you’re on the trip - you will thank me later.

lack of planning and minimal research leads to horrible EV road trip experiences - base on your question and how you phrased it I’m guessing you’ve done minimal research about charging and your Taycan’s capabilities.

a little prep work will be required for your 1st trip as outlined above - after you’ve done a few trip it becomes no big deal, but going in with no planning or awareness of charging speeds or researching the charging options on route historically leads to rage-quitting EV ownership after one’s 1st road trip.

good luck - some homework and an actual test EA charging session near by home will greatly improve your trip.

Last edited:

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
? Daveo4ev’s advice is very good. Doing your first try at EA charging and getting familiar with it before you’re in the middle of a road trip will avoid a lot of stress. Using third party apps like PlugShare and ABRP gives you a fuller picture of charging options (and you can set them to filter for particular charging capacities, operators, etc.).

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
Yep, agree with all the posters here on tips. Been on two 1200+ mile round trips easy. Be sure to doing some planning ahead as they mentioned, and use the ABRP and PlugShare apps to know what’s out there for charging spots. Just be aware the ABRP app assumes your car can only do the EPA given mileage of 200 miles range, so it will have your stopping more often than you should and the estimates for your power remaining at each stop will be lower in the app than what you really will have on your car. NEVER rely on the Porsche Navigation app in the car solely. The area of the country you are in has tons of high speed charging options and 175 miles each way is an EASY trip for the Taycan with one stop at a super charger (assuming you start at 100% and charge up to 85%-95% at the supercharger, which should only take about 30 minutes tops). Dont overthink it and make too much of it. And like other said, take a practice run nearby your home and set up your charging app properly for your EA charging, but also get the apps for ChargePoint and EVGO setup BEFORE your trip, so if you need to use one of their spots, it will be quick and easy. Have fun and enjoy your trip!

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
A Taycan friend warned me that their first road trip, they failed to account for charge level AT their destination...so the car got them there and through chargers, but they were stuck on arrival.

ABRP is excellent; you can specify what charge level you want at the destination and it will work that into the plan.

1. Try to find a hotel with chargers as your destination.
2. Even if they have one, try and land at your destination with 30% charge or so. That ought to be enough to get you to an EA, ChargePoint, EVGo or other charger from there.

mikeva

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Base
Country flag
great thread!!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just be aware the ABRP app assumes your car can only do the EPA given mileage of 200 miles range, so it will have your stopping more often than you should and the estimates for your power remaining at each stop will be lower in the app than what you really will have on your car.
ABRP can be “adjusted” to more realistic consumption metrics which it will then use to generate better estimates as to when/where to stop - the setting is here in this screen shot - is the “reference consumption” setting - and I’m comfortable putting in 2.95-3.2 mile/kWh for Taycan Turbo - this will greatly improve ABRP’s trip planning and move the plan closer to actual Taycan consumption values.

however - if ABRP says you can make it with the less efficient consumption value then we know we’re good to go with plenty of head room - and it’s still useful to quickly “find/sort” possible/likely charging locations and then you can make your own plan from there.

I use ABRP to “cheat” and quickly find the “likely” spots to stop - I then overrule it and make my own decisions before I leave and enroute - but it does the initial “legwork” of the basic outline and estimating consumption - it’s a cheat to get your planning started…

Porsche Taycan First EV Road Trip Tomorrow - Tips? AF342590-3433-47A2-A3B5-39E125304536

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I did a trip to LA a couple of weeks ago relying solely on the EA charging stops as recommended in the PCM and it worked perfectly. Your trip will be a no-brainer, so relax and enjoy your Taycan.
Sponsored

Last edited: